Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Hate Packing!

Due to circumstances out of our control, we are moving sooner than expected. This is a good move, but I do have to say, I hate packing. We have one week to pack and move out of this place in Rigby. Thank goodness we have a place to live until we find and close on a house. I've loved this apartment that we've been living in since May. But, I must keep reminding myself, this is OK, after we find our house, it'll be the last move for a really long time. Then I'll be able to have a home again. I guess I just feel like I'm in limbo at the moment and maybe just a little bit of stress and pressure.
I'm also reminded that this is not so bad. Yeah there are some unknown factors, but not as bad as my pioneer ancestors. Moving to a new land, settling a wild place and not knowing what lay over the horizon. Packing all their possessions into a wagon or a handcart. Starting from scratch, literally. They faced a lot of unknowns from every side it seemed. But somehow, a lot of them made it work.
In packing up my recipe books today, I found one of my favorites, called "Cooking in Wyoming." this recipe book has a collection of recipes used by the women who help settle the state of Wyoming. Included are recipes like Wild Buffalo Berry Catsup, Head Cheese, Suet Pudding, Home Cured Pork, Bear Steak,Deviled Deer Burgers and Mulligatawny Soup. There is one recipe that cracks me up every time that I'd like to share with you.

Wood Chuck Pot Pie

The animal should be 1/2 to 3/4 grown. Disjoint meant and soak an hour in cold water containing 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon soda. Salt and Pepper the pieces, roll them in flour and put into hot fat in which you have previously browned a small clove of garlic. When meat is browned on both sides put cover on heavy skillet or Dutch oven and simmer until tender. Add a little water as needed. Just before serving, season with Worcestershire sauce and chunks of butter.

This wild game recipe was submitted to a local Wyoming paper by Mrs. Sam Young.

:)

No comments: